My Dog Skip movie theme

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Quiet Place...in time

I read an article yesterday....Writer urges Internet junkies to "switch off".... It made me think about how I've been living with the internet, Facebook, and the blogosphere lately.  As you can read in the article,

"Like tens of millions of others, US technology writer Nicholas Carr found the lure of the worldwide web hard to resist -- until he noticed it was getting harder and harder to concentrate"...
  "Carr said it encourages quick shifts in focus -- and discourages sustained attention and the ability to think deeply and creatively about one topic and to challenge conventional wisdom."
"We take in so much information so quickly that we are in a constant state of cognitive overload," Carr argued."
"Multitasking erodes cognitive control. We lose our ability to say that this is important, this is unimportant. All we want is new information."
"In contrast, when readers open a printed book, "there's nothing else going on except words on a page, no distractions. It helps train us to be deep thinkers."

I encourage you to read the entire article.  It does have merits.


Do you find yourself spending hours online flitting from one topic to another, forgetting why you sat down at the computer in the first place?  Being inspired by an idea on one page, but before you really contemplate the idea that would lead to real action on your part, have you found yourself 5 web pages away and can't remember what you got inspired about?  Do you read so many emails, or Facebook comments, that you forget the prayer requests, or those crying out to YOU for help? I've been guilty of all of these.

I've found "information overload" can deplete me, and often keeps me unfocused.

But there is a quiet place....that renews me.  A place where I can "be still" and know God Is, and He wants to not only listen to me, to my heart and mind, but He wants to talk to me and RENEW my heart and mind. We all have things in our lives that pull us away from that "quiet place."
  So how do make time for that place?   
Just take time....pause....it's a discipline that you can't live fully without.

And for you that are overwhelmed by thinking of something that requires more of your time...you who have children, demanding jobs, family turmoil, all kinds of difficult circumstances....how can you truly live without that quiet place?  God made us to have a relationship with Him, to need life-giving renewal daily....

He gave us the ability to "focus" on Him;
which brings all of life into "focus" for us.

Close your eyes, and imagine what your "Quiet Place" would look like.

It's great to have a "quiet place" but what it really is,
is a SPACE in your TIME.  

That Quiet Space in time can be found anytime of the day, but it can be stolen without the discipline of trying to have it at a designated time too...just don't ever think that God will only come to you then.  For He will be with you all the time and in His every Word.  He's been with me in the early morning, in the drive to work, in a song, while planting a flower, in the hug and kiss of my husband and children, while pulling weeds, while picking vegetables, in words of encouragement from a friend......while reading His Word....and while giving thanks for all these things....


That quiet place is a space in our time to focus on the Life Giver.


Quiet time resources that have inspired me....


Seeking the Savior, selections from SpiritLed Woman Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment