My Dog Skip movie theme

Saturday, September 10, 2011

He brought us out . . . to bring us in

Whether remembering 9/11 or your own life circumstances, may we contemplate the truth and power of God always present in our lives.  I found this anonymous poem from "At the Beautiful Gate", in Mrs. Charles E. Cowman's  September 10 devotional, Streams in the Desert, Vol. 2, 1966.


"He brought us out . . . that He might bring us in" Deuteronomy 6:23

"Out of the distance and darkness so deep,
Out of the settled and perilous sleep,
Out of the region and shadow of death,
Out of its foul and pestilent breath,
Out of the bondage and weary chains.
Out of the companionship ever with stains:
Into the light and glory of God,
Into the holiest, made clean by blood,
Into His arms, the embrace and the kiss,
Into the scene of ineffable bliss,
Into the quiet and infinite calm,
Into the place of the song and the psalm.
Wonderful love, that has wrought all for me!
Wonderful work, that has thus set me free!
Wonderful ground, upon which I have come!
Wonderful tenderness, welcoming home!

 Out of disaster and ruin complete,
Out of the struggle and dreary defeat,
Out of my sorrow, and bondage, and shame,
Out of the evils too tearful to name,
Out of my guilt and criminal's doom,
Out of the dreading, and terror, and gloom:
Into the sense of forgiveness and rest,
Into inheritance with all the blessed,
Into a righteous and permanent peace.
Into the grandest and fullest release,
Into the comfort without an alloy,
Into a perfect and confident joy.
Wonderful holiness, bringing to light!
Wonderful grace, putting all out of sight!
Wonderful lowliness, draining my cup!
Wonderful purpose, that ne'er gave me up!

Out of the horror of being alone,
Out and forever of being my own,
Out of the bitterness, madness, and strife,
Out of myself and all I called life,
Out of of the hardness of heart and of will,
Out of the longings that nothing could fill:
Into communion with Father and Son,
Into the sharing of all that Christ won,
Into the ecstasies full to the brim,
Into the bearing of all things with Him,
Into Christ Jesus, there ever to dwell,
Into more blessings than words can e'er tell.
Wonderful Person, whose face I'll behold!
Wonderful story, there all to be told!
Wonderful, all the dread way that He trod!
Wonderful end, that He brought me to God!"

Our great and mighty God of the Bible, of the Declaration of Independence, and The Constitution of the United States of America, Our God and Creator, God of all Power and Wisdom and Love . . . let us never forget where we have been, and where you want to take us.
Recommended Links:

http://www.rememberingseptember11.com/images/flagstillthere.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post....and such a gorgeous blog header...speaks peace...so glad that I stopped by...Blessings tomorrow as we think of all who lost their lives
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings to you too, Teresa. Thanks for stopping by...

    ReplyDelete